Friday 12 September 2014

Labour councillor in Stoke resigns over party's handling of Rotherham child abuse

Stoke-on-Trent Labour councillor, Janine Bridges, has resigned from the Labour Party over their handling of the Rotherham child abuse scandal.
Morally I cannot subscribe to a party that has condoned the events in Rotherham.

Personally, I am deeply disappointed in Roger Stone and the National Party over handling of events. After much deliberation and careful consideration, I cancelled my membership of the party last Friday.

I will continue to serve the residents of my Packmoor ward as a non-aligned councillor.
The embattled leader of Stoke-on-Trent City Council, Mohammed Pervez, says he is disappointed and that "the Labour Party acted firmly and quickly immediately the situation in Rotherham came to light". The first report warning the Labour council that there was a problem with child abuse in Rotherham was given to them as early as 2002.