Wednesday 8 July 2009

UKIP’S TINGLE TO SIGN CLEAN CAMPAIGN PLEDGE AS TORIES DECLINE FORMAL SIGNING

Glenn Tingle, the UK Independence Party’s candidate for Norwich North has committed himself to signing the clean campaign pledge promoted by the Green Party and was due to take part in a formal signing ceremony with Rupert Read and Chloe Smith (Cons), until the Tory candidate declined to attend.

Mr Tingle said: “It is a great shame that the Tories have refused to take part, despite considerable efforts to persuade them. As candidates, we could all have shown a united front against negative political campaigning. It suggests that the Tory commitment is rather skin deep.

“A clean campaign is something that I am personally very committed to, regardless of any written pledge but I am perfectly happy to formalise it by signing the same document as the other parties. I see no benefit to the public in hearing political parties smearing each other. In my view, it is far better to stick to the issues that really concern the voters.

“I am taking the clean campaign a stage further by committing myself to donating 10% of my Westminster salary to a local charity. I invite my opponents to do the same. In this way, we can all provide a cast iron guarantee that part of the future benefits package of the next Norwich North MP will definitely go to a good local cause.